The International Service for Human Rights (ISHR)
Communication Internship at ISHR
The International Service for Human Rights (ISHR), Geneva is offering an internship with the communications team.
Internships with ISHR offer unique opportunities for upcoming human rights activists and NGO workers to be involved in and learn about the UN human rights system and the international human rights non-governmental community.
The principal focus of the communications internship will be learning about the implementation of communications activities in the context of a leading international human rights non-governmental organisation. The intern will be based at ISHR’s Geneva office.
To develop the skills and experience of a budding communications professional.
The intern will:
• Develop their skills, knowledge and experience in the area of communications
• Acquire experience working for an international human rights NGO
• Gain extensive exposure to the UN human rights system and its mechanisms
The communications team is now offering an internship in which the incumbent will develop a range of communications skills through practical exposure to the daily activities of a human rights NGO.
Depending on the intern’s professional focus, the skills developed may include:
• Writing and editing in English and development of journalistic skills
• Video production and photography
• Website and CRM maintenance
• Production of publications and marketing materials, and graphic design
• Event planning, coordination and management
• Using social media to increase the organisation’s visibility
• Knowledge of the UN human rights system and networking with key stakeholders2
The ideal applicant
To be considered, applicants should be undertaking university study in the field of communication, marketing, languages, graphic design or similar, or have recently completed such study. They should also possess:
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English (native level fluency). Additional languages would be an advantage.
• Excellent IT skills including a good command of Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Additional skills in website editing, design or video production software would be an advantage, but will also be taught
• An interest in online social media
• Excellent people skills and an ability to multi-task
• Flexibility and willingness to also carry out administrative tasks (data entry, questionnaire analysis, etc). Approximately 10 to 20 percent of the work will be administrative in nature
• A desire to experience working in a multicultural environment and interest in becoming familiar with the work of a human rights NGO
• Full or part-time availability for a period of six months, depending on the intern’s availability and ISHR’s requirements.
• Swiss or EU citizen/Permit B or C.
This is an unpaid internship. Travel costs, travel arrangements, and living accommodation
are the responsibility of the intern. ISHR covers the cost of the Geneva public transport card,
visa fees and accident insurance. ISHR also offers a strong professional development and
training plan. For more information, please visit our website: www.ishr.ch/internships
Applicants should submit the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• A covering letter, including ideal internship duration and possible start date
• A current CV (with two references)