Please ask for approval from your teacher/ lecturer before considering to do an internship!
Expiration date: 22nd, May. 2018
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes, often working under difficult conditions. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ International Services (GIZ InS) is the company’s business department offering services to international clients such as the European Commission. For more information, please consult www.giz.de.
The GIZ InS Office in Brussels has currently approx. 25 staff, the majority of whom is working in the implementation of EC funded projects.
We are currently looking for a Trainee Junior Project Assistant, based in Brussels, to primarily assist in the preparation and implementation of EU Election Observation Missions to start ASAP. The duration of the traineeship is foreseen for a period of 6 months. The trainee contract we propose will follow the Belgian legislation (Convention d’Immersion Professionnelle).
Applicants are asked to submit their updated CV together with a one-page cover letter (both CV and letter in English) to the following email address: email@example.com, mentioning the position you would like to apply for in the reference.
The cover letter shall clearly outline the motivation and availability of the applicant. Applications should be submitted at the latest by 21 May 2018. Early applications will particularly be appreciated.
Interviews are scheduled to be held in the weeks of 23-25 May and 28 May to 1 June 2018.
A. Core scope of tasks Trainee Project Assistant regarding Election Observation Missions (EOMs)
1. Project acquisition, i.e.
- Contribution to the elaboration of technical proposals (summarizing country information, editing CVs, drafting expert profiles, assisting with the lay-out, proofreading, production)
- Assistance with seeking quotes from suppliers, provide comparisons
- Getting flight information
- Managing the timely completion of administrative proposals by identifying and compiling the requested documents and information from GIZ and all consortium partners in compliance with the tender documents.
- Drafting and proofreading parts of technical offers including CVs, company profiles, etc.
- Collecting and editing references
- Assist with the identification and evaluation of experts
2. Project implementation EOMs
- Assistance with the booking of flights for the deployment of mission members (inc. maintain an up-to-date flight monitoring)
- Assistance with experts & observers’ visas
- Assist to meetings with the Commission and with experts
- Helping with procurement processes
- Support to the elaboration of country guides
- Encode contracts and procurement procedures in GIZ software
- Checking of invoices and travel expenses, compiling the boarding passes of the mission’s members
- Double checking and filing of procurement documentation
- Edit reports
- Other administrative tasks
3. Knowledge management
- Maintain an updated expert database
- Assistance with the development of the expert pool and updating the CV database
- Supporting the Project Manager in developing the ‘Sectoral Knowledge Hub Elections and Democracy’’. Tasks may include summarizing documents, making minutes of meetings, getting project information from GIZ colleagues, etc.
- Correct filing of the relevant acquisition and implementation documents and communication
The above list of tasks is not exhaustive and might be complemented according to the actual needs of the projects and GIZ Succursale.
All tasks shall be carried out under supervision and in close collaboration with the EOM Project Manager.
B. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree
- Experience with (EC) tenders and/or project management/logistics (internships included) would be a major asset
- Election Observation Mission experience would be an asset but is not mandatory
- Sound command of English and French (ability to read, write and understand complex documents) are a must. Knowledge of Spanish and/or Portuguese would be a major asset
- Very good organizational skills
- Budgetary & financial management skills would be an asset
- Able to work precisely under high time pressure and workload
- Excellent social and communication skills
- Flexibility and Service-oriented attitude
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Full IT proficiency (all current MS Office applications, especially Excel, internet)
Work permit for Belgium.