CEDLA/ UvA Master Latin American Studies
The CEDLA’s Master Latin American Studies offers you an international and research-driven programme of 15 months. It deals with societal transformations in the region from a multidisciplinary and social-science perspective. It provides critical knowledge, academic skills and in-depth understanding of the academic literature. You are trained to become an autonomous researcher who can work in new, unknown circumstances according to all standards of scholarships in the social sciences and humanities.
Why study Latin American Studies at UvA?
The Master’s in Latin American Studies offers you:
- An intensive and multidisciplinary programme: you will approach the dynamic field of Latin American Studies from an multidisciplinary perspective.
- A strong academic basis: the programme will equip you with research skills and knowledge to conduct research and fieldwork in Latin America.
- A research-driven programme: by developing your own research plan and undertaking a three-month fieldwork you will become an expert in a certain field, region or country.
- An international classroom: you will be engaging with students from all over the world, offering you an inspiring international community.
- A flexible curriculum: you are free to compose part of the curriculum by choosing electives, tutorials and external courses in your desired area of study.
Studying at CEDLA
CEDLA is considered to be one of Europe’s leading Latin American Studies institutes. Its staff members are experienced researchers and qualified teachers. CEDLA has a large library with a unique collection. Facilities such as student work stations, internet and computer access, and lecture rooms are excellent.
CEDLA is located at the UvA University campus Roeterseiland and is easy to reach by public transport. In its direct surroundings you can find lunchrooms, a cinema and UvA’s cultural centre.
CEDLA is pivotal to the Latin American Studies community in the Netherlands. It publishes an academic journal (ERLACS organises monthly lectures, dialogues, and many other events. It also houses the Netherlands Association for Latin American and Caribbean Studies (NALACS) and the Latin American Studies Programme (LASP).
The CEDLA’s Master Latin American Studies is an accredited, post-initial degree programme. After successful completion, you will receive a legally accredited Master’s degree and the title Master of Arts in Latin American Studies (MA).
Want to know more?
Visit the UvA website to learn more about the study programme, the requirements and how to apply: