Governing Europe / European Studies
Governing Europe (European Studies)
This European Studies Master's offers a unique combination of social science and humanities approaches to understanding and analysing the ways in which contemporary Europe and the EU are governed and the many challenges they face.
Contemporary Europe and the EU
Europe is confronted today by a growing number of ‘crises’ – economic, political but also cultural. Recent responses to these crises have severely strained both support for the European project as well as cross-European solidarity. The rise of populist and anti-immigrant movements is just one example of this shift, but so too are institutional challenges to further European integration and proposals for a ‘multi-speed Europe’. This Master's combines social science and humanities approaches to understand and analyse this complex environment, relating the various political, legal and economic developments of contemporary Europe to insights from the humanities.
European Studies at the University of Amsterdam
The Governing Europe programme offers you:
· A world-class education: the UvA is ranked highest in the Netherlands and 59th overall in the Times
Higher Education World University Rankings 2017;
· Amsterdam is a vibrant and creative European hub with a diverse, international community;
· A unique combination of political science, law, history, anthropology, philosophy and geography;
· The opportunity to look beyond the political confines of the EU, relating the complexity of European
governance to its cultural and historical context;
· The chance to visit EU institutions and engage with policymakers, think-tanks and officials, helping to
establish professional networks;
· Training in analytical and communication skills that are essential in a professional research and policy
environment, both at home and abroad.
· Individual coaches that provide assistance throughout the programme and advice regarding personal, study
related and career matters.
Governing Europe is an accredited degree programme of European Studies. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Master’s degree in European Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Want to know more?
Reread all of the information at your own convenience in the factsheet below.