General Information:

For 350 years Université Laval has shown tomorrow’s leaders how to achieve their goals and has demonstrated its commitment to tackling society’s greatest challenges.

Université Laval is an active member of its community, working hand-in-hand with local leaders and innovators in research and development. By sharing its knowledge and expertise, the university plays a vital role in sustaining a vibrant, thriving community.

Click here to get more information on the university's website and here to find the exchange student guide the univeristy created.

Admission: Canadian Studies

Language Requirements: knowledge of French language

Number of exchange places available: 2

Additonal Admission Requirements: none


If you don’t have housing arrangements when you arrive in Québec City, some affordable temporary accommodation options (under $50 per night) at various locations are listed on page 52 of this guide. For other temporary accommodation options, visit:

Residence Office has 2,300 rooms divided between four residences, three of which are co-ed (men and women are on separate floors).

Looking for housing in Québec City? You might try:

  • Visiting the following websites:,, 
  • Looking for buildings and homes sporting a sign reading À louer (For rent)
  • Checking the notice boards in the buildings on campus


Citizens of all countries except the United States and other minor exceptions have to get a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to enter Canada. 

It is best to get your visa or eTA before booking your flight.

The visa is placed directly in your passport, whereas the eTA is linked electronically to your passport.

Processing times for visa applications vary depending on where you are applying from. eTA applications are usually processed within a matter of minutes.

All further information about visa can be found here!

If you come for a study program that is six months or less or if you come for a one-semester exchange, you don’t need to get a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec [Québec acceptance certificate] (CAQ) or a study permit. You have to follow the necessary steps to enter Canada as a visitor.

When you arrive at a Canadian port of entry, you will need your acceptance letter from the Registrar’s Office confirming the length of your study or exchange program. 

To determine whether your study or exchange program is six months or less, you have to check the length of the program on the offer of admission from Université Laval.

Even if you intend to physically stay in Canada for only six months or less, what is important is the length of the study program. So, if your acceptance letter says that your study program is longer than six months, you have to take the necessary steps to get a CAQ and a study permit. If that is the case for you, follow the instructions in the section on Study or exchange programs lasting more than six months.

This is usually the case if you are in one of the following situations:

  • Master’s double degree program
  • Cotutelle (joint supervision) agreement that involves being at Université Laval for six months or less
  • PhD defence

Sponsors and partners