General Information: Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU), as one of the higher education institutions which enjoy a long history and a world-renowned reputation in China, is a key university directly under the administration of the Ministry of Education (MOE) of the People's Republic of China and co-constructed by MOE and Shanghai Municipal Government. Through 121 years' unremitting efforts, SJTU has become a comprehensive, research-oriented, and internationalized top university in China. 

Since 2000, SJTU has achieved rapid development in the areas of education for international students with the great increase of proportion and scope of excellent international students pursuing bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or doctoral degree from more than one hundred countries, including: South Korea, Japan, Indonesia, USA, Germany, France, UK, Canada, North Korea, Australia, Thailand, etc. The total number of international students in recent years has grown about 6000.

Admission: Faculty of Arts

Language Requirements: English B2/C1

All the incoming exchange students will have the opportunity to take Free Chinese language courses at the beginners’ level.

Additonal Admission Requirements: none

Number of exchange places available: 4 (of which 2 for MA East Asian Studies)

Accomodation: There are Nanyang Bei Yuan and No.8/9 Building for international students on Minhang Campus , Taoli Yuan (Asian Youth Center) and Lianxing Building on Xuhui Campus. The equipment and facilities in each dormitory vary from each other, however, all do provide basic furniture, air-conditioner, internet access, separate bathroom and 24-hour hot shower.

Visa: Applicants who have been enrolled should apply for the Student Visa (X visa) before coming to China. X visa holders shall apply for a Temporary Residence Permit from the local Public Security Bureau within 30 days upon entry into China, and anyone who fails to do so shall result in illegal residence. It is recommended that students avoid early entry to save potential trouble. If you are applying visa from outside China apply at Chinese embassies and consulates.

More information on visa application and procedures here.

Click here to access the university's exchange webpage

Sponsors and partners