General Information:

“HKBU is committed to academic excellence in teaching, research and service, and to the development of the whole person in all these endeavours built upon the heritage of Christian higher education.”

A semester Exchange in Hong Kong? The Hong Kong Baptist University offers you this possibility and can be seen as your window to China and Gateway to Southeast Asia!

The HKBU was founded in 1956 and it gained university status in 1994. The university is fully government-funded within the ambit of the University Grants Committee Coeducational with a Christian heritage. Over the years, HKBU has remained committed to academic excellence and the development of the whole person, and has gained a reputation as one of Asia’s finest institutions of higher learning.

HKBU is located in Kowloon Tong – the heart of Kowloon Peninsula – served by an extensive network of public transportation to many parts of Hong Kong. The university comprises 8 faculties in total offering a range of undergraduate programmes, associate degree and higher diploma programmes as well as taught postgraduate programmes and research postgraduate programmes leading to the award of master and doctoral degrees. It prides itself on its dual focus on teaching and research and encourages service to society among its staff and students. It has an academic staff of 850 employees, 6,800 undergraduate students, 3,800 postgraduate students and 450 international full-time and exchange students.

Admission: Faculty of Arts Exchange

Number of Places available: 1

Language and additional requirements (such as the TOEFL test):

If your native language is not English, you have to demonstrate your proficiency in English in one of the following ways:
- IBT (Internet-Based Test): 79 or above
- PBT (Paper-Based Test): 550 or above
- 6.0 or above
- A letter issued by your home institution certifying that you possess an adequate level of proficiency in English for success in studies.

Furthermore, HKBU states that for academic requirements a minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA or equivalent is needed.


You must apply for a student visa from the Hong Kong Immigration Department before coming to Hong Kong to begin your studies, unless you have the right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong.

For the visa processing HKBU will complete form ID995B “Application for Entry for Study (Sponsor)” and will hand-deliver your full set of student visa application documents (ID995A + ID995B + supporting documents) to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for processing. If your application is successful, HKBU will collect the student visa on your behalf and send it to you.

It is important to note that:

- Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the intended stay in Hong Kong.

- Do NOT submit your student visa application directly to the Hong Kong Immigration Department as that will slow down the process.

- It normally takes at least six weeks for the Immigration Department to process a student visa application.


You should arrange, at your own cost, accident and sickness insurance for the duration of your studies in Hong Kong.  The coverage should include provisions for emergency evacuation/rescuer's expenses and repatriation.  If you plan to travel outside Hong Kong, you should make sure that your insurance policy covers those destinations as well.  You may also be included in your health insurance policies.

If you would like to apply for HKBU insurance, please check the details by downloading the form here.  For your information, the insurance coverage does not apply to personal travel in and away from Hong Kong.


If you choose to live off campus, it will be your responsibility to make housing arrangements either before or after arrival in Hong Kong. Please note that often times, off-campus housing is more expensive than on-campus housing.  Also, places close to campus are normally quite difficult to acquire and often cost much more than those farther away. Because of the high demand of on-campus accommodation, once you have decided to live off campus, it will not be possible to entertain your later request to live in on-campus residences. 

Undergraduate exchange students are housed in the University's Undergraduate Halls on the Baptist University Road Campus (BURC). The Undergraduate Halls are composed of the South Tower and the North Tower providing some 800 rooms. The majority of the rooms accommodate two students and are air-conditioned (separately controlled in each room).  For each occupant, the provision includes one bed, a closet, a desk, a shelf, one chair and one LAN point and Wi-Fi connected to the University's network system.

Linens (sheets, pillows, towels, etc.) are the responsibility of the individual occupant.  Please bring your own or buy them in Hong Kong.  Every two rooms share a common restroom and shower facility.  There is no telephone in the bedroom, but you can use the public telephones at the common areas of the Halls.  Other facilities include a common lounge (with a small pantry & kitchenette) on each floor, a music/TV room, a multi-purpose room, a table tennis room, a computer room, a gym room, a study room, and a laundry area.

You may indicate your preference to stay on a single-gender floor or a co-ed floor.  Your preference will be considered as far as possible subject to availability.

Depending on occupancy, postgraduate exchange students will be housed in the Dr. Ng Tor Tai International House (NTT) on campus. The NTT offers a "Semester Accommodation Package" to full-time HKBU postgraduate exchange students. 

You may also see the webpage of Off-campus Accommodation Alternatives Section, Office of Student Affairs for other housing opportunities.


  • Asia University Rankings 2017: 49th
  • World University Rankings 2021: 351-400th

International students university webpage:

Sponsors and partners